Old March 10th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Lee McGee

Default You know you own an airplane when...

I used to own an older Bellanca Viking, a feature of which is the mahagony
plywood wing skin.

One annual we had to repair an ancient and badly repaired hole and patch in
the leading edge of the wing. A phone call to Bellanca (still in business
then) revealed that they could indeed sell me some leading edge plywood
(properly moulded into Viking airfoil leading edge shape), just tell them
how much we would need, then we could proceed with the appropriate scarfed
glue joint repair, and recover/repaint that section.

The cost?

$60

PER INCH!

We bought 15 inches..... $900. Item came in the mail, it only weighed
a few ounces.

Geez, I could have bought a battery box for that and had some left over!

Lee McGee
formerly Bellanca N7300V
Mount Aukum, CA