Old September 16th 14, 11:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult[_2_]

Default Tow Distribution and Quantity to obtain Private Glider

On 2014-09-16 03:46:29 +0000, JB Wawrzyniak said:

Pre-solo (for the record I was 24 when I soloed, the ol' age = flights
to solo held true for me):
11- 3k
2 - 2k
11 - 1k

Gosh, I must have been terrible! I soloed on my 31st flight, at age 22.

In my defense, I guess, there were a few long soaring flights in there
on days unsuitable for a student to practice landing (or possibly
takeoff and tow) due to 20+ knot gusting wind/crosswind etc.

But it probably depends on glider type. I was in a Blanik. You may be
talking about 2-33.

These days we are teaching in DG1000 (and Grob Twin Astir before that,
since 1994). Students definitely take a little longer to solo. Maybe
25-30 flights even for 15 yr olds, and 35 - 40 flights for graduates to
30 or so.

But they take a LOT FEWER flights to go from nothing to flying solo in
high performance glass than you would by starting off in a Blanik.
EVERY flight is in high performence glass.