Old April 10th 04, 09:38 PM
Bob Gardner

Gotta remember that Thom's frame of reference is Europe, specifically
England. Although he flies/flew into US airspace, there is always the law of
primacy to consider....what did he learn first, our way or their way?

Bob Gardner

"PaulaJay1" wrote in message
In article m, "Richard
Kaplan" writes:

The Garmin 530 and UPSAT GX50 both consider Bryne intersection to be the
FAF, but there is no Maltese cross.

Any ideas? Can an approach exist without a charted FAF? Is there an
alternate nomenclature to replace the Maltese cross?

My refference is Trevor Thom's Instrument Flying.

He says:

"The FAF is marked on IAP charts with a maltese cross or a lighting bolt
symbol. Where no final approach fix is shown, final descent should not be
commenced until the airplane is established within +or- 5 deg of the final
approach course."

This is confusing to me as it says it is marked and then says what to do

when
it isn't. If I were flying it, I would assume Bryne (though assumptions

on
fimal are dangerous). Another interesting point, for flying the NDB, it
doesn't say VOR required.

Chuck