Old September 17th 09, 10:44 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Alan Lothian

Default Sub-Launched SAMs

On Sep 17, 9:54*pm, "David E. Powell"
wrote:

snippaggio

Since the end of WW2, submarines as
antiaircraft platforms haven't been seen as a great idea when diving
often works better.

These days, not diving, just dived. V. bad idea, as Paul has pointed
out, to give away your greatest asset: stealth. Grumpy MPA or
helicopter isn't entirely sure where you a it's only got a sniff.
Take v. risky shot at nasty flying thing, give away your real
location. Sinketty submarin-io. Even if you hit nasty flying thing --
most unlikely -- other nasty flying things or their friends in nasty
floating things are likely to be within earshot, and they've got your
datum and are very seriously evilly intentioned. Due to cruel
upbringing, they really don't like sweet little subbie-wubs and are
well provided with nasty homing bang-bang things or even worse.
Sinketty sinketty. Crunchity crunch. I am not now, nor ever have been,
a sub CO, but if I were you wouldn't get me anywhere near one of those
loonie missile kits. Me, deep and silent. Torpedo Bad Persons as God
intended and run like buggery only without the noise. As it were. BB
and others would know for sure.

--
He thinks too much, such men are dangerous.

Paul J. Adam