Old April 15th 17, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation,alt.law-enforcement,talk.politics.guns,sac.politics
Scout[_2_]

Default United Airlines, We put the "Hospital" in "Hospitality"!

"RD Sandman" wrote in message
Petzl wrote in
:

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 12:58:00 -0500, RD Sandman
wrote:

Petzl wrote in
news
On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 11:30:47 -0500, RD Sandman
wrote:

Sylvia Else wrote in news:el5f1bFb5krU1
:

To my mind, the proper solution to the overbooking problem is
either to ban it outright (given that it's deliberate, not just a
mistake),

Overbooking is intentional. It is done to try and ensure paying
passengers for all flights.

The plane was full, not over booked.

Not enough is known for me to argue with you. The point is that the
plane was full, airlines can and do overbook to ensure that all seats
are filled.

Everyone was seated, so at the point the plane was full not overbooked
(UA spin).

Perhaps. We don't know if there aother passengers in the terminal that
were not added to the flight. Additionally, when the four airline
employees were added to the manifest, the flight beame "overbooked".

If so, then the "overbooked" passengers that were added at the last minute,
ie the UA employees, should have been the first to be booted per UA own
Contract of Carriage.

After all, check the definitions:

"Oversold Flight means a flight where there are more Passengers holding
valid confirmed Tickets that check-in for the flight within the prescribed
check-in time than there are available seats."

The UE employees were not holding valid confirmed tickets nor did they
check-in for the flight within the prescribed check-in time. Otherwise, all
the seats wouldn't have been filled by boarded passengers. QED.

Their own Contract of Carriage....which is the legally binding
contract....does NOT allow them to act as they did.

More spin is that four passengers were "randomly" selected?

Yes, it is a computer program that does the selection. Computers do not
make selections for any other reason than what is programmed into them,
and it is very difficult to make that purely random.

And yet, 'random' isn't an acceptable manner of selection per their own CoC.

Indeed, here's a nice write up on the whole thing as it concerns United's
contract and whether it violated the terms of that contract.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...requent-flyers