Old January 3rd 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default 9-11 Response, was F-15 grounding

3. Did word of the Soviet incursions into German air space ever leak
out at the time? *I don't remember reading anything about this, back
then -- and you'd think it would have been big news.

Sigh, there were Soviet incursions into just about every part of
European airspace, Asian airspace, and American airspace.

They would turn around as soon as someone came out to greet them.

It was all a game and both sides played.

There were occasional pictures of Bear crews waving to the US fighters
published in the military oriented aviation mags; it was no secret.

Sure, those intercepts were all over the periodicals at the time --
but they were usually up near Alaska, or off the coast near Cuba.
Never, to my recollection, did we hear about any along the highly
sensitive, highly defended East/West German border -- as the OP
discusses.

That would have been awfully big news, methinks.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA