Old February 13th 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Ferry Pilot Down

On Feb 12, 1:30 pm, John Smith wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
I am Currently On my way across this week shutdown for ice here in
Ohio the aircraft T182 should be able to be tanked Thursday and have a
Friday crossing to Santa Maria.

Where are you in Ohio?
I am in Columbus area.

I am in Cincy, I carry a 406 with GPS and I where it and it is
recommended to turn it on before ditching.. I knew Jeff flew the same
routs at the same time he had a lite military style immersion suit I
and very small raft if any at all I had never seen him with an Epirb
he packed lightly and we have both helped load our accessories and
test our HF Radios. he alway told me to be more productive take less/
smaller stuff.

More info from Iceland Review,

An extensive search for an American pilot was launched yesterday
afternoon after reports were received that his small Cessna 310
airplane crashed into the ocean 50 nautical miles west of Reykjanes
peninsula, Iceland's southwestern coast.

The pilot, who was the only one onboard, was traveling from
Narsassuaq, Greenland, to Reykjavík when his engines went dead, the
first at 3 pm. He managed to send an emergency message about having
trouble transferring fuel between tanks, Morgunbladid reports.

Shortly afterwards the pilot reported that he had also lost power in
the other engine and that his airplane was hovering at an altitude of
7,000 feet. The Icelandic Coast Guard sent one of its helicopters TF-
LIF towards the airplane. A Danish military aircraft had already begun
searching for the Cessna.

Three fishing vessels located near the scene of the accident and Coast
Guard cruisers were also called to the scene of the accident as well
as the Coast Guard airplane TF-SIF, and other airplanes.

Head Icelandic Coast Guard pilot Sigurdur Heidar Wiium, who flew the
TF-LIF helicopter, said the conditions had been very difficult
yesterday. "The waves were high and it was stormy, making it difficult
to search in the ocean."

In the evening it began snowing and the visibility in the search area
was poor. Captain Thorsteinn Eyjólfsson of trawler Baldvin Njálsson
GK-400, which was fishing only 10 nautical miles away from the scene
of the accident, said conditions for searching were extremely
difficult.

The air search was called off late last night.