Old January 15th 11, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tstock

Default Another midair in the pattern

On Jan 15, 8:54*am, Walt Connelly Walt.Connelly.
wrote:
'Jim Beckman[_2_ Wrote:

;760006']At 01:07 15 January 2011, Walt Connelly wrote:-

I am looking for a headset with a PTT set up for my hand held, one
cannot be too safe.-

Actually, one *can* be too safe. *If you really want to be safe with
your
glider, leave it on the ground. *Never fly it. *That would be really,
really safe. *But *too* safe, right?

Jim Beckman

Jim, everything is meant to be within reason. *The PTT feature would
give me one less thing to fiddle with in critical circumstances. PUlling
the handheld from my pocket, holding it with one hand, usually my left
while flying with the right can be cumbersome. The potential for
dropping it is incurred each time it is employed which brings forth an
added hazard. * Each reduction in required manipulations allows for a
greater safety margin. *Sure, we could never leave the ground or for
that matter never leave our house but that would defeat the purpose,
would it not? *We should always be looking for ways to reduce the hazard
potential and I am always open to listen to new and intelligent ideas.

Walt

--
Walt Connelly

I clip my radio to my seat belt up near my shoulder. Problem is I
need my left hand to press the transmit button which eliminates the
possibility of holding the air brake lever as I am announcing my turn
to base and final.

I need a solution too