View Single Post
Old April 6th 17, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND
external usenet poster

Default Pin holes (again)

On Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 10:18:43 AM UTC-4, wrote:
After removing all the gelcoat, a friend recommended applying a very thin cloth known as Vail to fill most pinholes. We brushed on epoxy and rolled on the Vail, followed with thin peal-ply, then squeegee'd it out with excess resin toward the trailing edges of the wing. Not sure it worked all that well and took two of us 4 hours + $400 bucks for Vail, resin and peal-ply. In some areas (near spoilers), we trapped some resin between the Vail and peal-ply which was full of pin holes!
I think the concept is good, but next time I believe I'll skip the Vail and just brush on epoxy and cover it with peal-ply. The resin has got to fill most pin holes and the peal-ply will leave the surface ready to prime.
Would like to know what others are doing?
JJ

Simpler and Cheaper method, used at one of the most well known refinishers in the country: blow stripped wing off very well to clear voids in glass. when filling /priming with 2081 (or your filler of choice), just before spraying, start by mixing up a small batch of filler, and squeegee it onto the wing (or whatever) with a plastic bondo spreader. it fills the holes, improves the bond, doesn't add measureable weight, and the incremental cost is a few cups of filler.