Old August 6th 19, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default fes ot jet (pros and cons)

On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 3:10:09 PM UTC-7, Steve Koerner wrote:
I'm sure there's a lot more pros and cons...

Another consideration would be fueling and defueling a jet. That's surely a bigger hassle than recharging an FES.

Also, one would need to examine cost and frequency of inspection, maintenance and overhaul requirements. I'm pretty sure the FES will win in that department as well even though the FES battery will be expensive to replace when that becomes necessary.

With an electric system, one would expect to experience gradual battery degradation. That's certainly a disadvantage compared to the jet which would be expected to sustain its initial performance over the years.

All-in-all, boom electric with self launch potency seems like the best idea to me. I hope that becomes a widely available option.

How long to a hot section with the jet and what does that cost?