Old September 12th 03, 01:59 PM
Marcel Duenner

(Kirk Stant) wrote in message . com...
Kevin,

I could have sworn I would
get a better zoom with ballast, but I now realize that it doesn't make
sense.

I'll double that.

I've just thought of another thing that might contribute to thinking
one gets higher with ballast. Maybe it's because with and without
ballast isn't normally flown in the same way. Is it possible that most
people tend to pull less g's with heavier gliders? I think I do.
I know that if you take a ASK-21 ant try a loop with an entry speed of
200km/h and you pull more than 4g you'll hardly make it. Same glider,
entry speed 180km/h and only 2.8g you'll go round really nicely. It's
got something to do with wasting to much energy with high g's.

Marcel

P.S. Now, before some smart-a.. tries to correct me on the ASK-21
figures - don't. It's been a while since I did it I could be slightly
off. The numbers given are only supposed to illustrate the point.