Old September 24th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Veeduber and Others, what about the VP-1

On Sep 23, 5:29*pm, Ed wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:46:48 -0700 (PDT), Copperhead

wrote:

Bob and other Group members,

I’ve purchased plans to the VP-1 and downloaded study plans for the
VP-2, all research and background indicates the VP-1 is the best build
of the two. Some have lengthened the wingspan or created a bit more
fuselage space for storage and it appears the 1835cc is engine of
choice for many. However, I communicated with some fine people who
prefer the 2180cc either with or without a redrive installed.

It’s a fascinating airplane, not as charismatic as a Bower’s Fly Baby,
but still has a timeless aura about it. What experience have you had
with this aircraft with respect to building, flying or inspecting a
flying sample? Do you consider it to be a feasible initial build for a
novice builder? Insofar as engine size what would you consider as most
feasible? My concern with redrives or VW engines larger than the 2180
are engine head temperature as I’m not entirely certain this problem
can be totally controlled without a greatly reduced rpm level.

Best regards to all

Joe

I have had experience with flying a VP-2 and would have to
characterize it as a total toad. The ailerons were heavy enough to
require a gorilla to move them. It is slow and unresponsive.

I believe a VP-1 is better, but given the difference in performance I
would opt for a Fly Baby or a Pietenpol every time. I built my
Jungster II twenty two years ago and am still enjoying it.

Ed Sullivan

The VP-1 has to be one of the uglier homebuilts and one with
poor resale value. Given that you have to build wings, a fuselage, a
tail, and control surfaces anyhow, if you want to use wood and a VW
why not build a wooden airplane that will go faster, handle better and
look much nicer? Lemme see...there's the Taylor Monoplane:
http://www.taylormonoplane.4t.com/

Or its younger brother, the Titch:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3040/...582bb2.jpg?v=0

Or the Jodel D9: http://www.jodel.com/index.asp?p=d9&themodels

Or any number of other nice airplanes. The Rand-Robinson KR-1/
KR-2s outrun most other VW-powered airplanes and are based on the
Taylor Monoplane, with construction simplified through the use of Foam
and dacron and resin as well as the basic wood structure.
http://www.airventure.org/2006/event...rks_rand5.html

Lots of options. Biggest problem now is finding decent wood.

Dan