Old January 31st 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Slow flight and Slips to Landing - Video

On Jan 31, 4:02*am, More_Flaps wrote:
On Jan 31, 5:38*pm, " wrote:

Nice VFR day for flying and doing some landing work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzaeqwn1GJ4

"Plane having" fun, just wanted to commit aviation and enjoy the
sensation of flight. *Figure to practice some slips to landings after
slow flighting it in the practice area.

I suggest you practise slips from a higher altitude to get used to how
much aileron you need -it not "full". Also you did not lower the nose
correctly but you got away with it because you slipped for only a few
seconds. Not one of those landings needed a slip, in fact it seemed to
me you were nearly on glidepath anyway -what should your altitude be
over the keys be for a normal approach? Why not make all your
approaches power off -you are not flying a jet...

Cheers

'preciate the feed back. I was on glide path to the aim points,
wanted to put the plane down closer to the numbers.

These were no flap landings, so I kept my speed up just a touch more
then full flaps.

For final, I generally shoot for 500 feet AGL, the finals on these
videos were 800 AGL and final was shorter then I normally do. Zoom of
camera does make the runway appear **somewhat** further then I
actually was.

Big mistake in this video was I was slipping the wrong way!!!

I should have had the nose pointed to the left, not the right since
winds were out of the NW. This I think caused my off centerline
tracking that I really didn't notice until watching the video.
Recovery wasn't that big a deal as you can see..