Old August 5th 04, 06:41 PM
Steve Mellenthin

What really surprizes me, is that the US tac fighters of
the cold war era stationed in Europe didn't, as far as
I know, plan for dispersed operatons. Did they really think
that their bases would survive in the 'big' war?

I suspect the planners thought the aircraft would not..

At most bases in Europe the planes were dispersed around the taxiways all over
the air patch. Most were parked in hardened shelters called Tab Vs complete
with blast doors in front and high spped taxiways and IIRC many were sealed and
filtered for chem-bio warfare.. .