Old July 10th 17, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default Wax, Teflon, Wx?

I'm sure the high volume repair shops would have a point of view, but in my experience as a part-time refinisher and occasional assistant to glass guys doing real repairs, the whole Silicon thing is a red herring. As Karl suggests, any repair involves a huge amount of sanding and cleaning. Even a minor gelcoat repair gets the area cleaned with Prepsolve or Acetone followed by sanding.

I wonder whether this is one of those stories that started with a real problem (maybe a guy with a badly crazed glider using spray silicon from a can on the leading edges to keep the bugs off)? I could see where saturating the gelcoat if it's crazed MIGHT weep down into the substrate fibers.

I'd be interested in hearing of practical examples of problems.

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 10:02:41 AM UTC-4, Karl Striedieck wrote:
On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 11:39:58 PM UTC-4, Bill G wrote:
Hi Karl, is that silicone free? Wondering if this will work on my 1995 Stemme? It seems like it would be a good choice and I respect your endorsement a ton.

Bill Gagen

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 8:36:46 PM UTC-6, Karl Striedieck wrote:
Like P3, I've had great results with 3M (Scotchguard) Marine Liquid Wax 09062.

When I sold my 2002 Duo 2 years ago the gel coat was as good as new.

Process: Use an eight inch random orbital buffer, first with an applicator pad, then when dry, switch the pad to a wool buffer pad. Very little effort required to get a good-as-new, water-beading, UV protection gloss.

For oxidized gel coat (not cracked) use 3M Marine Restorer and Wax 09006.

I've used the heavy duty edge buffers ala the factory, and high speed pad buffers as well, but they don't give any better results, are heftier to use and risk serious damage (and injury) if you catch an edge, corner, the cord, or a seal.A random orbital buffer isn't subject to these hazards.

Karl Striedieck

Bill,

Not sure on the silicone question, but my understanding is that it is irrelevent regarding structural repairs because the scarfing process removes so much laminate the silicone is long gone. Could be a nuisance for a cosmetic gel coat touch up, but hasn't been for me.

Should work on your Stemme, the glider type doesn't matter of course.

Here's a link to a thorough test of numerous marine gel coat protective products. They rated the 3M 09062 highest. https://www.practical-sailor.com/new...PS0110_wax.pdf