Old September 4th 09, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Evan Salant

Default Airspace Question

On Sep 3, 6:22*pm, Sam Spade wrote:
Evan Salant wrote:
I fly out of Linden (KLDJ) Airport, which is located under the floor
of Class BAirspace(Newark Airport's bravoairspace, shared with JFK
and LGA). *The traffic pattern altitude at LInden is 800 feet and the
floor of the Class Bairspaceis also 800 feet.

My question is this: *What is theairspacebelow the floor of this
Class Bairspace? *Is it Class G ?

Would you be legal flying (daytime) simply "clear of clouds" ? *Could
you fly with an 800 foot ceiling ?

The regulations on this are a little murky...I've heard some people
say Class E goes all the way to the ground below B but could never
find this in the FARs/AIM.

No, the regulations aren't murky. *They state that a higher class ofairspacesupercedes a lower class. *If you check the sectional the
entire New York area is surrounded by Class E transitionairspace.
(700-foot floor). *That applies except where superceded by Class B or Dairspace. *So, theairspaceover KLDJ is Class G below 700 feet, agl.
There is a 100-foot layer of Class E below the Class B over the airport.

Thanks this is all helpful. Bottom line seems to be class G below 700
feet. Thanks.