Old October 31st 03, 12:51 AM
Guy Elden Jr.

"Lynne Miller" wrote in message
om...
I am sorry if this offends anybody, however this sentence "It did give
me a very good appreciation for GPS though... I wouldn't fly
passengers in actual without it..." is quite concerning to me. I
understand that each person has a different comfort level, but what is
happening to the pilots of today when we are no longer comfortable
flying passengers without the use of GPS? What happened to VOR and ADF
skills? Maybe rather than not flying passengers without GPS, it would
be a better idea of going to get some dual in VOR and ADF usage so you
are comfortable flying with passengers without the use of GPS.

It's not about a comfort level for me... it's about pilot workload. There is
a tremendous amount of work involved in flying heads down in the clouds, so
any device that can help alleviate that load is welcome by me. It may be
legal to fly in instrument conditions with two VORs and an ADF, but is it
really safe if you're the only pilot in the plane, weather is forming all
around you, and you have to hand fly the plane? My instructor is definitely
of the opinion (and I share the same view) that it is not.

I make it a point to be proficient at using all of the equipment available
in the plane... VOR, NDB, COM, Transponder, GPS, Autopilot in my case. If
any (or all) of them went TU, no problem, I know the emergency procedures
very well. But I don't think it's worth it to risk the lives of anybody but
myself if I don't have every single one of those "assistants" helping me out
when I'm the only pilot in the plane.

--
Guy Elden Jr.