Old November 15th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Ricardo

Default China sub stalked U.S. fleet

wrote:
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:48:52 GMT, Ricardo
wrote:

I was merely quoting a press release at the time! It's not my fault if
US Government agencies get their arses in a twist with facts - I was
just passing it on.

It may be"'fact" that a Cbinese sub surfaced within it's weapon range
from a U.S. carrier. What is not "fact" is the question of its
detection (or lack thereof). You also might ask, "why?" If they did
get there undectected why would they disclose this capability? They
just gave away some intel that they didn't have to. The CHICOMS tend
to play stuff close to the vest. This doesn't really track.

Presumably this is the same group that the Chinese

have been shadowing and the relevant aircraft carrier is the Kitty Hawk.
The fact that America is sufficiently frightened of China to send 41
naval vessels of any type to "warn" them sends its own message.

If we have increased naval activity in WESTPAC I doubt we are trying
to "warn" the Chinese. More likely we are looking at the North
Koreans.

Like it or not China is, today, a "player" on the world stage. They
have not not been expansionistec, externally, since about the 12th
Century. So there's not much of a "track record" on a national basis
that we can look at. Maybe they are going to follow the "Japanese
Model" and act like Japan did after the U.S. forced the opening of
Japanese ports in the mid-19th Century. Maybe they'll pick some other
model.

While they might look with suspician at us, they REALLY don't trust
the Russians, with whom they have a VERY long border and who, in the
past, forced some territorial concessions upon them. They have never
been happy with that and there is some evidence that they would like
the land back.

Bill Kambic
Haras Lucero, Kingston, TN
Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Much the same as Mexico and the USA!

--
"Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice, and fear, walk hand in hand ..."