Old July 12th 03, 12:49 AM
Keith Willshaw

"James Linn" wrote in message

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

At the end of the day if you arent going to use the fighters
to defend your country why build them ?

Not the question I was posing - and I said it was a tough call, not that I
had a firm opinion. I think its an interesting discussion.

The question isn't whether to use your fighters, but what to use them on -
V1s, ground attack, air defense. Are you better to try intercepting the
V-1s, or have the fighters escort bombers trying to knock out the V-1
launchers? Which one will help shorten the war? On a mission by mission
basis no way to tell.

James Linn

Ultimately the only answer was to overun the area in France from
which they were being launched since the Germans were using
large numbers of mobile launchers.

In the meanwhile the British people would scarcely have tolerated
a situation in which RAF fighters were staying safely on the ground
while V-1's killed thousands of civilians.

Keith