Old September 23rd 03, 11:24 PM
Tom S.

"David Megginson" wrote in message
(Michael) writes:

I'm sure that Canada is the promised land as far as aviation
education goes,

Not at all -- I've just been surprised at how many U.S. pilots don't
seem to know about altimeter temperature errors. On mailing lists,
I've actually had violent reactions from otherwise experienced and
competent pilots when I casually mentioned that pressure altimeters
are routinely off by hundreds of feet at cruise altitude.

I think what they teach us is density altitude differences, but that's for
performance during takeoff. I wonder if the new RVSM rules/equipment might
refocus some discussion in that direction?

Tom