Old July 20th 04, 11:01 AM
Cub Driver

Just remember that if Lee Harvey Oswald can make it, anybody ca

Actually, this isn't the case. Oswald went through basic training in
the U.S. Army roughly at the same time I did. We were Depression
babies and the army took what it could get. I especially remember
"Pop", an ancient 28-year old who had several fused disks in his back
and so had a peculiar gait.

We had another guy who cried when the First Sergeant yelled at him.
"Goddammit, why are you crying?" "Because I'm afraid of you, First
Sergeant."

That winter, Golf Co 272 Inf Reg 69th Inf Div had five platoons: the
1st, the 2nd, the 3rd, the 4th, and the college graduates who trickled
in long after the others got home.

When I started basic, I could do 18 chin-ups. When I finished, I could
do 13.

We were not a very fearsome group. It drove the cadre crazy, because
they were all veterans of Korea.

We were not a very fearsome group.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)