Old June 15th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Default OTA -- a new twist to "call me when you land"

You think "Call me when you land" is intimidating?

How about " Come up to the tower and see me"!!!

Me: New ASOS Tech...with NWS...not FAA

First visit to BKL, Burke Lakefront, Cleveland OH ( we're talking in
a truck here, not plane)

....about 6 years before I started flight training...Thank goodness I
was an Amateur radio op and an airband scanner listener...and at least
had a clue about radio etiquette.

---as I remember it...

"Lakefront Ground..uh, Weather vehicle.

"Weather vehicle go ahead"

"Uh....I'm at the base of the tower and need directions to the
ASOS..."

" proceed out to the taxiway..that's Gulf..yep, turn right there. go
down to the end and out the access road...etc etc."

I repaired the equipment and started back....then got "Can you come up
to the tower cab and see me?"

OK, what did I do wrong????

Went up to the cab... the controller just wanted to show me the tower
cab and meet the new tech....

yeesh...I fear no controller now...

-Don

Don Byrer
Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy
Amateur Radio KJ5KB
kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..."
"Watch out for those doves...smack-smack-smack-smack..."