Old November 7th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Front Office

Default Horatio Nelson - Battle Painting

pe.rhodes wrote:
Google is your friend: type 'Horatio Nelson', then click on 'Images' and
you'll get a thousand or so.

Already did that. Reckon I'll go at it again . . . though now I'm thinking
the main guy in the painting might not be Nelson. I recall that the
setting might have been the dry land . . .

The particular one I was thinking of is "Nelson
Boarding the 'San Josef' at the Battle of Cape St Vincent, 14 Feb 1797" by
George Jones painted in 1829.

Neat picture, but not it.

I have 'lost' so many interesting photos and paintings because so
often it is days or weeks after seeing them that I realize this or that
interesting feature that I want again to see.

I appreciate your help on this. Thanks. If I find what I am looking
for, I will announce it on these two groups.

Bob

"Front Office" wrote in message
. ..

pe.rhodes wrote:

There is a famous one, but in it, he has only one arm and one eye, and is
boarding another ship with a sword in his hand, and no hat - is that the
one?

No, but I'd like to see that one if you can give a URL for it.

In the one I have in mind, he is advancing from the left (I think).
He might have his right arm, but I doubt it, since I think that
was probably part of what got him so glorified. He is carrying
a sword, and other British soldiers are near him. It's his neutral
facial expression that is interesting to me, in re the "violence
delivered phlegmatically" quotation from the article that the
picture accompanied.

"Front Office" wrote in message
om...

St. John Smythe wrote:

Was it this picture?

http://media.historynet.com/designimages/bp_figures.gif

That's not it, but the posture is about right. And the person in
question looks more like Horatio Nelson than G. Washington.