Old April 9th 09, 10:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Copeland[_2_]

Default Wingtip Camera

Not a problem in the cloudy little UK, where we dream of getting above
4000ft AMSL due to our generally low cloudbases!

Thanks for pointing this issue out though. So I guess it's Mini DV, Mini
DVD or SD card camcorders. Any known problems with these?

One other issue we have found with exterior mounted cameras at high
altitudes, or on cold days, is that the cold affects the battery
performance. Make sure that the batteries are fully charged up before you
start, and don't expect them to last for too long.

Derek C

At 08:02 08 April 2009, noel.wade wrote:
Just a quick FYI:

Hard-drive based Camcorders are a bad idea, as most of them are not
qualified for use above 10,000' MSL (thanks to Kempton Izuno for
pointing this out and saving me some $$)... The problem is the
cushion of air that the hard drive read/write heads float on, above/
beside the platters... as air density goes down these things become
more susceptible to striking the spinning hard drive platters - not a
good thing!

--Noel