Old May 1st 05, 03:42 AM
Morgans

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
news

"Morgans" wrote in message

It is arguing nits, but I'll play the game you started.

If the water of the lake was all indeed at 32 degrees, it would all be a
giant ice cube. If it were all at 32.1 degrees, it would all be liquid.
The wave action has nothing to do with it.

So in other words, the physical state of water is a function of

temperature
alone?

Zactly. Waves stir the water, and bring up the warmer water to the surface,
if there is warm enough water down there to keep it from freezing. There is
ultimate proof that waves are not enough, because some winters, the Great
Lakes still freeze over. I'll bet there were waves, when it started to
freeze. The air was cold enough to get the surface temperature down to
32.0, or lower. Period.

Same principle with some boats at marinas that stay in the water all winter.
They put an air bubble pump with the hose under the boat, to keep the water
circulating. It works pretty well.
--
Jim in NC