Old November 20th 09, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John T[_8_]

Default Piper Arrow Shoulder Belt Tensioner

My partner and I are having a discussion about how the original pilot's
shoulder belt tensioner is supposed to work in our 1978 Arrow III.
Currently, it always applies tension, which bothers him a bit during
long flights. He thinks it should latch or ratchet so that once it
finds a position, it should stay put without the tension tugging on him.

I have a more cynical view of 1978 airplane technology. I've suggested
a clothes pin be put on the belt just outside the retractor. I'm
thinking he has too many hours flying a Lexus.

Any comments on whether this is a design flaw or a mechanism failure?
Annual is coming due and we're working on the squawk list.

Thanks!