Old October 11th 04, 02:02 AM
Roy Smith

In article grjad.224521$D%.88524@attbi_s51,
"Brad Z" wrote:

"zatatime" wrote in message
I may be completely wrong on this, but I think the 1160 is a step down
for both types. As I see it if you have DME you can proceed lower (to
700) at the 2.7 mile mark, otherwise the radar facility will call the
2.7 mile position for you at which time you can proceed lower to 900.
This may allow for the radar facility to be more inaccurate than the
on board DME. The approach does say Radar Required.

...except the step-down fix doesn't include the words "RADAR", indicating
that the controller will call the stepdown.

Come to think of it, I doubt they'd have a radar fix inside the FAF because
at that point, you'd be on or switching to tower, which may or may not have
a radar display in the cab.

Interesting.

Another strange thing is the missed. I can deal with the "expect radar
vectors" part, but I'm a little confused about the "tracking 228" bit.
I can only assume they mean to track the localizer back course outbound,
but normally they would write that as "climb to 3000 via ICEF back
course" or something like that. Did they really mean 228 heading?

Yet another interesting gotcha is that the DME readouts are all relative
to the CEF VORTAC, not the I-CEF localizer.