Old September 6th 17, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default XCSoar With LNAV?

As long as I have a couple of you experts reading this no-longer-properly-named thread, I have a question:

I'm running Top Hat on a Kobo e-reader. I wired up a USB/TTL converter to feed it data from my PowerFLARM since the Kobo doesn't have its own GPS.The GPS data and barometric altitude work great on Top Hat, all the time.

Top Hat also displays some--but not all--FLARM traffic info. Frequently not all targets displayed on my PowerFLARM screen appear on the Top Hat screen (same zoom level). Top Hat doesn't read the FLARM Net database I downloaded so there are no contest IDs displayed unless I have manually assigned a contest ID to them (in which case, they appear sometimes but not always, although my impression is that if a mapped-to-a-contest-ID target appears, it's usually labeled as such). Sometimes climb rates appear under the targets but not always. Occasionally I'll get a target with contest ID (that I've manually assigned) AND a climb rate, but that's rare.

The targets are on the FLARM display. The IDs and climb rates appear on the FLARMView screen when it's connected (currently I don't have a way of connecting it and the Kobo at the same time). When a target appears on the Top Hat screen and I click on it, I can then click thru to get detailed into, including ICAO identifier, climb rate, altitude, and distance (and I can then assign a contest ID if I know for sure who the target is).

I was speaking to Rob Dunning at Region 2 this weekend and he was puzzled by the erratic nature of this. Thoughts?

Chip Bearden