Old March 18th 04, 03:21 AM
kage

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:iI76c.32458$_w.542610@attbi_s53...
Is it worth the bother?

We're coming up on our annual inspection in May, and there are at least

four
antennas on our bird that do nothing. I'll bet there's a few feet of

cable
going to each one, too.

Does removing an antenna net you any extra speed, or is it mainly a weight
reduction thing?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay,

You have no choice. You are REQUIRED to remove inoperative equipment. Part
91.405 (c).

Best,
Karl.

BTW, the reg says the equipment must be repaired, replaced, removed or
inspected at the next required inspection. What they mean by "inspected" is
if a required inspection is due. Not just the mechanic peering at a piece of
inop equipment and letting it go for another year! This rule is regularily
ignored by the GA community. But it would never fly at a reputable repair
facility. Once the antennas are removed you will have to revise the
equipment list and weight and balance.

"Curator" N185KG, fire breathing Skywagon!