Old December 13th 09, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Clear

Default Throwing TP out of a/c?

In article ,
a wrote:

The roll of toilet paper trick used to be done at Old Rheinbeck (sp?)
Aerodrome in upstate NY, and then the guy flying the Cub would attempt
to cut it time and again. I remember watching in amazement as he got
very very close to the tree tops for the last several cuts. I don't
know how tightly a Cub can turn, but my qualitative answer is its
turning radius is oh-my-god tight at low airspeeds.

Old Rhinebeck still does the TP ribbon cuts, but they were using
a couple of WWI biplanes to do it when I was there over the summer.

For those not familiar with Old Rhinebeck http://oldrhinebeck.org/,
the *newest* planes in their collection are from WWI (many of their
planes are original, and they also have some very period accurate
reproductions). They have an original Bleriot XI (1911), claimed
to be the oldest plane in the US that still flies.

Definitely worth a trip if you are in the NYC area. It is located
about 2hrs north of NYC by car. Flying in is discouraged since
the runway is very unflat (the hills in the runway help deal with
the lack of brakes on the planes in the collection).

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/