Old April 17th 18, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Phoebus A as a first glider

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 15:38:16 -0700, son_of_flubber wrote:

What is the spin warning/entry behavior of these first generation ships
and does that matter for a new pilot?

As someone who learnt to fly in the UK, I'd say that spin awareness and
recovery matters for every pilot, and especially for a new soloed one,
because he's likely to be a bit more ham-fisted than a more experienced
pilot. Over here you can't go solo without having demonstrated spin
recognition and recovery to your instructor and gotten his sign-off.

And, to make sure that remains a current skill, we repeat that exercise
every year, along with failed winch launch exercises, before the summer
soaring season starts. No launch failure and spin sign-offs, no solo
flying until you have them.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org