Old April 17th 18, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Phoebus A as a first glider

On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 5:24:00 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 4:20:51 PM UTC-7, wrote:
The accident occurred on August 26, 2000 at Mountain Valley Gliderport in Tehachapi, California and the glider was listed as a CABLE-BREIGLER BG-12BD.

Very sad.

Dan Armstrong
"DAN"

I couldn't find it because the accident glider was a BG-12BD and that isn't an NTSB search option (a persistent problem with the NTSB search query). The NTSB found that the pilot exceeded the flap-extended speed limit (no mention was made of wood rot). Wood rot is a serious concern; I once convinced my partners in a Citabria 7KCAB to sell the plane because wood rot had been found in some aircraft and ours was tied down outside. But this can be inspected for, so it isn't a deal breaker IF a proper inspection is done.

On the subject of high-speed, low passes: I have discouraged these for a long time. Part of my rational is it encourages low time pilots to try to emulate the maneuver who may not have the skill level to pull it off. And there is not a good reason for doing it to begin with.

Tom

Here is the report:
https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...Final&IType=LA