Old November 22nd 18, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Playing Chicken With The Birds

On Wednesday, November 21, 2018 at 8:11:35 PM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 15:54:37 -0800, Mike the Strike wrote:

That sounds very similar behaviour to what I remember of Indian vultures
back in the late '70s[1]. One day in particular stands out: we were in a
hotel in Jaipur. This turned out to be about 1km from the local abattoir
and there was a nearly stationary thermal between us and it. One
afternoon I looked up and saw many hundreds of vultures streaming up from
their feast and slotting into the thermal's base and riding it to maybe
2000ft before streaming off across the city and into another standing
thermal over there. The vultures were very orderly, with few if any
turning the wrong way: it was like staring up into a giant cylinder while
it slowly spun anti-clockwise on its axis.

The buzzards I'm talking about are black, and appear to fit the description of the black vulture, which are definitely native to Florida:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_vulture

These are soaring birds with great eyesight, but not a great sense of smell like the turkey vulture.

Their soaring behavior sounds a lot like the Indian vulture that Martin talks about above.