Old March 21st 04, 11:21 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John Clonts" wrote in message

Ok, I'd like to learn something from this...

When you call ATC to get a clearance...

...if you're in the air and you've filed through FSS, when you call ATC,

its
not a pop-up.
...if you're in the air but not already filed through FSS, it's considered

"pop-up"
...if you're not in the air and not already filed through FSS, it's not
considered a "pop-up"? Is there a different name you call it?

I see that "pop-up" is not in the PC/G. I assume that it's also not

defined
in 7110. That being the case we're talking about an informal term anyway.
I'm just curious (and surprised) that a call from the ramp to CD for an

IFR
clearance (not already on file) is NOT considered by controllers a

"pop-up".

"Pop-up" is not defined anywhere. It's my observation, from context, that
most pilots consider a pop-up to be any airborne pickup of an IFR clearance.
I share that opinion.