Old May 6th 09, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vaughn

Default Feathering an engine

"Tim" wrote in message
m...

So you are saying if I loose power at high altitude in a fixed pitch prop
aircraft, like a Skyhawk, I will have less drag if I stop the prop, as
opposed to letting it windmill?

Yes, but with a fixed pitch prop you may or may not be able to stop the prop
by slowing down to a near stall. Once stopped, it may or may not stay
stopped at best glide speed. It would depend on the pitch of your prop, the
compression of your engine, your plane's best glide speed, the quality of
the pilot's speed control, and the phase of the moon.

Vaughn