Old May 7th 09, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tim[_8_]

Default Feathering an engine

wrote in message

I couldn't see, from those charts, that the spinning prop
developed a LOT more drag, like the flat plate some here claimed it
would be. A flat plate the diameter of the prop disc would be about
four times the flat-plate equivalent of the aircraft's profile, I
think, and would steepen the glide to some awesome angle.
I'm going to have to go up and do it again. Many years ago I
stopped the prop on a 150 and found that the glide was a hair steeper
for a given airspeed. The prop stopped, reluctantly, near the stall,
and diving the airplane to Vne would not restart it.
How many others here have actually tried it, besides me?

Dan

It was demonstrated to me during flight training many years ago. I did it a
few times later after I got my license just for fun, and an opportunity to
hear the airframe with no engine noise.

I never had a problem stopping the prop, but probably never exceed 100 kts
while gliding. In no situation did a prop ever attempt to restart it's self.
However, just a bump of the starter would send it wind milling again, even
with the mixture still closed.