Old May 9th 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jason Warning Track Kendrick

Default Feathering an engine

On Wed, 6 May 2009 11:47:18 -0500, Tim wrote:

Yes, but with a fixed pitch prop you may or may not be able to stop the
prop by slowing down to a near stall. Once stopped, it may or may not
stay stopped at best glide speed. It would depend on the pitch of your
prop, the compression of your engine, your plane's best glide speed, the
quality of the pilot's speed control, and the phase of the moon.

Vaughn

Are you high?
Have you actually done it?
I can assure you, all aspects of it are much easier than you imply.

Vaughn is absolutely correct in stating that many aircraft with
fixed-pitch props will windmill all the way in, as you would have to be
near or below its rated stall speed for it to stop. Depends on the
particular aircraft in question :-)

Perhaps, but that wasn't the question, and what does the phase of the moon
have to do with anything but starting a ****ing contest?

Good point. Will U blow me?

--
That white softball comes at me. I am not afreed. I kill it.
To the warning track. I do this a lot. NO softball timidates me