Old June 6th 09, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

Default Welding question #2; rust holes

On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 14:10:36 GMT, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 06:08:46 -0400, Michael Horowitz
wrote:

AC 43.13 para 4-94 says: " WELDED-PATCH REPAIR. Dents
or holes in tubing may be repaired by using a patch of the same
material, one gauge thicker" and then defines punctured tubing:
b. Punctured Tubing. Holes are not longer than tube diameter and
involve not more than 1/4 of tube circumference.

Question: Can I apply the definition of Punctured Tubing to mean a
hole caused by rust? As I'm stripping my tubing I've notice several
out of the way patches and I'm assuming they are covering rust holes.
I've uncovered two 1/8" holes previously unseen and am wondering if a
simple patch is correct. - Mike

forget the bloody semantics of the document.
you are repairing a structure that will have flight loads imposed upon
it unrelentingly in flight.

cut the dodgy stuff out and weld in structurally sound replacement
tube.

ask yourself as you work "would I be prepared to do a 60 degree angle
of bank turn at Vne with maximum all up weight with that repair?"

with rust penetrations what is the internal wall of the tube like?

Stealth Pilot

Message understood - Mike