Old June 25th 09, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Torque Wrench Calibration

I was getting ready to install a replacement manifold on the old Mercury
and it occurred to me I ought to be pretty sure my torque wrench didn't
strip the aluminum threads. The Snap On dial wrench hasn't been
recalibrated for 30 years and the Craftsman torsion bar wrench is too
clumsy to get to some of the bolts. I was kicking it around and I came
up with using the torsion bar wrench on a bicycle axle nut and then
putting the dial wrench on it to see if the reading matched. It did.
Then, I went ahead and checked the Craftsman clicker wrench of the same
vintage and recalibrating, and it came up with a match also. Then I did
the torquing with the dial wrench and cross checked it with the torsion
bar wrench, with all good readings. So, I'm just going to call them
calibrated.
Andy
Phoenix