Old June 30th 09, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
coffelt2

Default Torque Wrench Calibration

snip
In the Air Farce we were supposed to click the break type torque wrench
three times at the lowest setting before using it. This was supposed to
spread the lubrication inside.

I like the idea of taking the wrench to a shop to check calibration.
Having said that, in my first shop in the USAF we calibrated torque
wrenches so I may be a tad biased. The machine we used was huge and
probably weighed close to a ton. Torque wrenches in the USAF are
periodically calibrated, I forget the cycle, and taken in for calibration
if dropped or abused.

snip
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Heck, Dan, in the Air Force there was an alternate torque measuring
system that didn't even require a torque wrench. (PMEL calibrated, of
course)
Simply "strip" it and back off one half turn. Farm boys from Georgia taught
me that.

Old Chief Lynn