Old July 27th 09, 07:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default On pre-flight inspections

On Jul 27, 2:03*am, D Ramapriya wrote:
On Jul 27, 9:46*am, Dudley Henriques wrote:

On Jul 27, 12:41*am, D Ramapriya wrote:

Has any of you has ever discovered something during the pre-flight
inspection that necessitated a significant deferrment of your flight
plan or a cancelation altogether? Just curious, that's all.

Thanks,

Ramapriya

Yes; a stuffed bear in the carb intake duct. Removed bear, made
flight.
DH

Probably sucked in during post-landing taxi to the apron from the
previous flight?

Ramapriya

Nope. Saw the child who did it, although didn't actually see him do
it. He was being carried by his father on the line at one of our show
sites in 1971. Have used the incident in a hundred safety lectures on
pre-flights. I had preflighted the airplane for my next display and
had run across the ramp to grab a coke from a snack wagon. Saw the man
and his kid before I left. Came back and re-preflighted the airplane
again because it was out of my direct sight since I had done the last
one.
Caught the bear in the carb tunnel on the second preflight.
Rule number ONE for display pilots, and for all pilots for that matter
as far as I'm concerned anyway! ANYTIME the airplane is out of your
sight for ANY reason after you have done a preflight inspection, do it
again!
Dudley Henriques