Old July 29th 09, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Default On pre-flight inspections

Gezellig wrote:

How bad does a wood prop have to be to cancel a flight? I was going to
take a flight in a DA20 which has a twin blade Sensenich W69EK7-63 wood
propeller. On pre-flight, the prop was chipped in several places, no
runs but then its painted or enameled white....

Oh boy, this thread is bringing the memories back - of a low level local
VFR joy ride in the passenger seat - and we heard a pan call on the
local frequency citing engine problems - then straight ahead, and
descending quite fast was a 4 seater - with just HALF a prop slowly
rotating - and down it went - under a power pylon at the edge of a field
- which had us on the edge of our seats - but it rolled to a halt, and
we saw two adults and two kids pile out. We called the home tower with
location and loitered til a police car or ambulance arrived.

It turned out a wood prop had been overtightened by a prestige big name
FBO at Coventry - and the facility lost their prop authorization on the
basis of that screw up.....

Brian W