Old August 14th 09, 05:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

Default Are composite homebuilts dying out?

rich wrote:
Good observation. I also realized that the Glasair 3 I built was a
"first generation" composite kit, with later labor saving ideas mostly
developed by other kit companies. I also bought a Glasair TD kit back
in the early 80's and they were even more work, but not by that much.
Now I could build another one in a fraction of the time it took me to
do the -3. But I've only got so many years left, and starting a
project that size again isn't in the cards for me.
Now, if I had unlimited money, I'd order AeroSupercharger Solutions
$16K bolt on supercharger kit for the Glasair 3 and take out to Reno
for a run around the pylons. But I'm spent, so that ain't gonna
happen.
Rich

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 21:24:34 -0500, Jim Logajan
wrote:

The observation may only apply locally.

Here's a different observation:
I notice that a newer composite design like the Arion Lightning appears to
be enjoying very fast builds (relatively speaking.)

They also appear to have a fairly high fraction of completions (44 flying
of 78 kits delivered, as of August 6. For perspective, the prototype first
flew in March 2006. So no one has struggled for years - yet.)

Building an airplane involves many different kinds of jobs and develops a
whole host of new skills.

But the last job is the funnest one...

The job now, rich, is to fly your beautiful new airplane!

Enjoy

Richard