Old August 14th 09, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

Default Are composite homebuilts dying out?

rich wrote:
Yes, I'm really looking forward to that! I just wish the fuel hadn't
gotten so expensive since I started the thing. That big 6 Lycoming is
a thirsty animal. But if I look at it a different way, it doesn't seem
as bad. I'll be out there moving along at Warbird speeds and burning
only a fraction of the fuel they burn. But it's still expensive. I
just hope the engine doesn't give me problems after sitting for years.
It would be a shame to have to re-overhaul an overhauled engine.
One of the things I'm concerned with is the rubbers inside the fuel
injector and the Romec fuel pump. I don't know if there are any fuel
experts reading these threads, but from what I've been told, the Romec
fuel pump is a gear type, like an engine oil pump. So I can't
understand what rubber seals inside it could go bad, if any. But when
I spoke with Don George down in LAL this year, he said he'd be more
worried about the romec fuel pump than the Bendix fuel injector. That
Romec fuel pump is about half the size of a pack of cigarettes and
cost $600 to overhaul. And that was years ago. Now, who knows...
But that's airplanes...
Rich

That would, of course, suck big time.