Old November 21st 03, 02:23 AM
Mike Rapoport

Thanks, it will be a lot easier to choose a charger without considering the
pulse types.

Mike
MU-2

"mikem" wrote in message
Mike,

From: "Adolph . . ."

As I looked at the latest Popular Mechanics, there was an ad for
a company that makes a "smart" battery charger. One claim is

"Reconditions sulfted batteries using electronic pulse technology that
reverses sulfate buld-up on battery plates, improving charge-carrying
capability."

Will it "float" a lead acid battery and keep it from
self-discharging? Yes.

Will it recharge a run down battery that just needs to
recharged? Yes, if you are willing to wait long enough.
A 10A Sears model will do it a lot faster and cheaper

Will it substantially increase the AH capacity of an old battery
which has already lost capacity? No.

Not that I'm in the market for a charger, but if it can do that, it

would
be a significant improvement. Anyone have one, or know anything about
these?

I built a computer-controlled battery charger/discharger which
acurately measures the AH capacity of batteries. The device is
used routinely by my AP/IA to evaluate aircraft batteries for
continuing airworthiness.

I researched the "pulse charging" desulphating techniques, read
the patents, built a prototype, and did some carefully
controlled experiments where I measured the before and after
Amp-Hour capacity of some flooded cell SLA, automotive, marine,
and aircraft batteries.

I found no improvement in AH capacity that lasted. There was no
difference in the capacity of the battery if it was charged with
pure DC, or with "pulses"!!!

That said, can a case be made for sophisticated chargers which
have several operating modes? Certainly. A good example of what
is out there is at

http://batterytender.com/technical.php

(I have no connection with them, but they explain the
fundamentals well). Read "battery charging basics".

IMHO, the "pulse charging" stuff is snake oil...

MikeM (PhD EE)
Pacer '00Z
Skylane '1MM

Mike Rapoport wrote:
I have recently converted from NiCad to lead acid batteries which are

supped
to have a life of 2-3 yrs. The batteries cost about $1500 for the pair

and
I am interested in maximizing their life the extent practical. I have

heard
about "pulse chargers" that reportedly reduce sulfate on the battery

plates.
Would using one of these make a meaningful difference in battery life?

plan to connect the charger through the external power recepticle. Any
thoughts/ideas/sources?

I am also interested in a larger source of DC power so that I can use

the
cabin lights and have things turned on while cleaning/troubleshooting

ect.
Again I plan to connect through the external power recepticle. I ahve

120V
and 240V availible. I am not looking to spend $000s on a GPU type cart.

Thanks for any input!

Mike
MU-2