Old April 24th 04, 03:46 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Magnus" wrote in message

That doesn't make any sense to me. So which VOR am I supposed
to use for Jacksonvill Intl. then? It doesn't havve a VOR anywhere
in the C airspace. The only VOR in that entire region is Craig, but
that's not even close to jacksonville.

It doesn't make sense to me to have a chart that defines COMM
areas based on VORs when the chart is for VFR flights only.

If I'm flying to Jacksonville VFR I won't have a VOR to use as
my point of reference because there's none there.

Why would the makers of the chart even consider using radiostations,
all that matters is to have a point of reference from which the courses
should be drawn so you can identify which fq you should contact
approach on, and from that viewpoint using the actual airport makes
more sense than some VOR that might or might not be there.

More importantly, I have NOT found any information that actually
states how the legend on the sectional was meant to be used.
Surely there must be some source of information for these charts
detailing how they should be used? How do examiners and
instructors determine that these numbers next to the frequencies
are from VORs? There's nothing on the chart legend that suggest
it.

Some facilities don't use bearings at all. Madison approach splits East and
West, and that's how it's indicated in the frequency tab on the sectional.
The Letter of Agreement with Chicago Center designates the division as the
extended centerlines of runway 18/36. They could have used VOR radials, I
suppose, as Madison VOR is on the field. But they didn't. More anecdotal
evidence that these are not radials.