Old June 27th 04, 06:38 AM
Anthony

"Tim Ward" wrote in message

Why not resurrect project Orion and ride the wake of nuclear blasts into
space.

Tony

Cost?
Even if the hardware was free, the infrastructure to support a surface
launch would be awfully expensive. I know Niven & Pournelle had something
like that in Lucifer's Hammer, but that was an effort to throw off alien
conquerors.

I thought Orion was space-to-space transportation.

The system I've proposed wouldn't be cheap, but it could conceivably take
off and land from a regular airport.

Tim Ward

You really need to see the history channel show on Project Orion. I can't
do it justice here. The team on the project expected to be to Mars buy 1965
if their funding hadn't been dropped.

Tony