Old September 14th 04, 01:40 AM
Del Rawlins

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 06:36:04 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Tubbiolo
wrote:

Del Rawlins wrote:
Besides, if you were to go this route you would basically have to
disassemble completely a 172 in order to duplicate the parts, and at
that point it would be easier to just restore the 172.

I would need to be a cirtificated A & P to do this right? I've
considered it. Would refurbing a manufactured airframe be another route to
a repairmans license?

You would need to be supervised by an A&P, who would also have to sign
the log entries concerning all maintenance performed. Furthermore,
you would need an A&P with an inspection authorization to approve any
major repairs or alterations and perform the annual inspection when
the aircraft is ready for return to service. You should keep track of
all time spent working on the plane because as mentioned by another
poster, it counts towards the experience requirement if you decide to
get your A&P certificate later on.

The definition of what constitutes adequate supervision isn't really
spelled out in the FARs and will probably depend on how well the A&P
knows and/or trusts your work, and upon his level of paranoia.

One thing that I didn't mention in my previous post which has been
brought up by others, is if you just want something to fly, you are
FAR better off to buy something that is in good condition and just
fly/upgrade it as you go, as opposed to building a homebuilt or
restoring a factory built aircraft. The amount of time either takes
can be staggering, and life has a tendency to get in the way
frequently. I started forming ribs in 1998 and I drove the first
rivets in those ribs the day before yesterday.

Del Rawlins--
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply