Old February 7th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default 12 dead this weekend from GA crashes - what about skiing??

by " Feb 7, 2006 at 01:12 PM

What... you think nobody knows about the FAA's alleged funding crisis?
The OMB says there's no problem and that they're fully funded, but the
FAA says the system is broke and we're almost outta money. Who to
believe? The feds have been careful not to use the term "user fees"
rather "fee-for-service" (you say tomato, I say tomahto)

King: You gotta be careful when you believe the AOPA stuff -- very very
slanted. OMB has NOT said there is no funding shortfall. NEVER. Not
once. Show me a single quote directly from OMB (not as "interpreted" by
AOPA spinners) that makes that claim.

AOPA is typically slippery on this point. They only talk about trust
fund
revenue forecasts, which show increased levels of available funds. This
is
what AOPA seizes upon, and then, as diningenously as usual, claims this
proves there is no shortfall. This is, how shall we say, bull****. The
FAA has been very clear that the so-called crisis is due to commitments
which greatly exceed projected growth in the trust fund.

Your question, "Who to believe?" is pretty easy. Listen only to me.