Old June 30th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

Default I passed the checkride, now need a good GPS and passenger headset

..... is like turning on an electric light needs some dual on
the asics of what constitutes proper flight instruction .

I have a pretty good idea of what constitutes proper flight
instruction, Dud; mine was courtesy of the United States Navy. I
understand it's generally considered a fairly rigorous program.

I have no problem with Navair, and the training you have received or not
received is not at issue here.

You made it an issue, Dud. Read what you said, quoted above. You said
I don't know "what constitutes proper flight instruction"--although I
experienced what is probably the best flight instruction available to
any American.

What I'm addressing is your statement that asserts something as fact..

No, Dud, it's a statement of my opinion. To be more precise, the
expression that something is "like turning on an electric light" is a
simile. Similes are never "facts."

.....and I take exception to that.

And that's your opinion, and of course you're entitled to it.

It's simply not true enough to be presented as a glittering generalization..

Dud, you don't know what a "glittering generalization is."

I My contention is that any properly trained pilot will use a GPS simply as one more available tool to be used in
conjuction with other navigational skills, pilotage being one of these
skills.

You made that point, or came close to it, in your previous post. No
need to repeat it.

You're begging the question, saying a properly trained pilot has been
properly trained. Duh!

Quite to the contrary.... I'm begging nothing...

Dud, you don't know what "begging the question" means, either.

it is YOUR statement that a new pilot who has a GPS

in his/her navigational equation will become dependent on that GPS to the
point of not developing normal navigational skills that begs the question;
"has this pilot been properly trained?"

Dud, "begging the question" does NOT mean what you think it means. It
is the name of a logical fallacy in which one's conclusion is
contained in his premise. Such as saying "A properly trained pilot
has been properly trained"--which is what you said above, even though
you changed the wording a little.

The fact is that NO properly trained pilot will NEED a GPS.

Dud, for crying out loud, DON'T YOU REALIZE YOU ARE AGREEING WITH
WHAT I SAID IN MY RESPONSE TO THE ORIGINAL POST?

Did you read the thread before barging in? Go back and read the
original post, and read my response to it.

I would offer one more comment on your posting: You may "properly
train" a student but you have no idea what he's going to go out and do
when you're not there. Why do so many pilots kill themselves doing
stupid things?

vince norris